Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ironically perfect





Today, I went back to the park and took my camera in hopes of capturing something worth sharing!
My main interest was in the clouds, they looked so beautiful, but my camera refused to cooperate so I settled instead for some pretty flowers! Enjoy


I thought today's blog would be about a more private aspect of my life, my marriage. My husband and I had a pretty ironic start.


I was introduced to him when I was very young, 13, but not in the manner you might think. He was actually a family friend and my step-sister's boyfriend. (Yes, I know it sounds. Odd)
They had a very short lived relationship before she moved back north and I didn't see him again for quite a few years.


I aged, obviously, and continued my life as I began my very first job at McDonald's while attending high school. (I worked there for a bit over 4 years). I began dating a co-worker and shortly after I, regrettably, hit my rebellious state. I was 17 and had suddenly become all-knowing, or so I thought.
I decided, abruptly, I wanted to move out of my parent's house and get a house with my ex boyfriend. Things sounded so simple back then.


We got a small house that we could hardly afford not to mention the other obvious bills that came along with the house and it became a recipe for disaster.


I continued to work at McDonald's, trying to make ends meet, when I ran into Randy, who would consequently become my husband several years later.
We became friends almost instantly and before long, we began to hang out together. I was big into playing pool back then with my friend Nicole and he started playing with us and much to our chagrin, he was so much better. Ha-ha


I can't honestly remember when my feelings for him changed but I do remember life wasn't quite the same. The only big problem with this is that I was unavailable.
I struggled with the torn feelings I had because on one hand, I had little doubt we could be great together. On the other hand however, I knew that I would crush my ex and after all the time we had been together, I felt as if I owed him. It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make.


I dragged my feet on making a decision, worried I would make the wrong one but that all changed when Randy decided he wanted to move several hours away. The thought of not seeing him or being able to talk with him on a regular basis propelled me into action.


Things at home were also not great, me and my ex fought all the time and he had begun drinking and partying excessively, having just turned 21, making him violent and unusually cruel.
The break-up was messy, and I was truly sorry we couldn't end on better terms, but my life changed completely.


My family was shocked at first and a bit resistant but they quickly came around and saw just how truly remarkable, Randy was and how much I loved him. My biggest worry, sadly, was how his family would react to me. I knew that things with my step-sister had not been great and I was terrified they would dislike me for that fact alone. I also knew that our age difference was a thing that concerned some, 7 1/2 years. I still remember the first time, I met his family. :)


He was going to visit them and really wanted me to come along and I agreed, hesitantly. I had never met his dad before but I still remembered his mother and for some reason, I was so afraid of her. (It’s a bit funny to think about that, years later)
They were both so sweet to me and I was relieved, to say the least. I also met my sister in law and both of his brothers; they too were really nice to me!


Our relationship was something out of a book, we agreed on almost everything. We never argued and most of all, we were inseparable. Our personalities were so much alike it was un-canning and after a year and some, we decided to get married!


Things have changed very little these last two years. We have still never fought, the only thing we sometimes don't agree on are political views :). Not to mention just how much closer we've grown together.


Overall, he is everything I could have ever hoped for and more. He is not only my best friend but also a wonderful, caring and loving husband who is always there for me. He doesn't judge me on things I've done in the past and I can honestly say that he knows everything about me. He has comforted me when my demons from the past have been more then I could handle or when I have been a bit moody and testy never complaining or using it as leverage later. (Yes, Yes, This is starting to sound like a cheesy novel, so I'll wrap it up. lol)
My life couldn't be better and the one and only thing that could make it more complete is to have a baby, which I hope happens soon.

2 comments:

Charin Adams said...

Aww Laurie!! :) That is so sweet :)
And don't worry, Janet scared me too! haha
She's a little intimidating when you first meet her.

Kevin said...

Awww. ;)